Dr. Reid and his team understand the fear and anxiety that many people face when it comes to attending to their oral health. We work with patients to try to identify the root cause of their fear, or to establish ways to relax and feel calm when visiting with us. Our Truckee dentist office is designed with this in mind and radiates a spa like atmosphere that will have you asking if you opened the right door when you walk in!
We offer many techniques and tips for your comfort as well as sedation options for complete relaxation- and no memory afterwards.
Topical & Local Anesthetics
We begin with a topical solution that ‘pre-numbs’ the injection area. Then the local anesthesia is used to completely numb the area being treated. This temporarily blocks feeling to the nerve and should last one to two hours or longer.
Nitrous Oxide (Laughing Gas)
that nitrous oxide gas (laughing gas) is the treatment of choice for highly apprehensive patients. The attitude changes are usually astounding. Someone who was anxious going into treatment is now completely relaxed.
Oral conscious sedation dentistry addresses the fears that keep people from going to the dentist on a regular basis. Therefore, phobic patients who opt for oral conscious sedation are more likely to receive recommended routine care. As a result, they are less likely to neglect their oral health or allow oral health problems to build to the point when drastic dental treatments become necessary. In addition, if you are reluctant to change the appearance of your smile because you are afraid or anxious about undergoing long or complicated dental procedures, oral conscious sedation dentistry can make you feel comfortable during the treatment process and help you achieve a smile you can be proud of.
Tips For Reducing Dental Anxiety & Fear
- Talk with Dr. Reid – While it can be challenging to speak about illogical fears with a stranger, Dr. Reid may take additional precautions during visits if fears and anxiety are conveyed. That way, together, we may identify any special concerns or fears and work at alleviating these types of problems.
- Bring a portable music player – Music will act as a relaxant as well as drowns out any fear-producing sounds. Hearing some soothing music throughout this visit will lower anxiousness.
- Decide on a signal – Many individuals are afraid the dentist will not likely know they are in significant pain while in the appointment, and will carry on the treatment no matter what. The easiest way to solve this problem is to decide on a “stop” hand signal together with the dentist. Both sides can easily comprehend signs like raising the hand or gently tapping on the seat.
- Spray the throat – Throat sprays (such as, Vicks® Chloraseptic® Throat Spray) may actually control the gag reflex. 2 or 3 sprays will often keep the reflex in check for about one hour.
- Take a mirror with you – Not having the ability to view what is happening can increase anxiety and make the mind run wild. Watching the process can help keep reality at the forefront of the mind.
- Sedation – Choosing a comfortable level of sedation provides an outstanding option for many.
- Discuss the treatment – Please let us know the extent and depth of treatment plan explanations you require.
Schedule A Consultation
Looking for a Lake Tahoe CA dentist? Or a Tahoe City CA area dentist that works with people who have been suffering with poor oral health due to dental anxiety or a fear of the dentist? Dr. Reid is currently accepting new patients. Schedule an appointment to talk about all relaxation and sedation choices with Dr. Reid and select the one that is effective and produces minimal anxiety.