Replacing missing teeth will restore your oral health and daily quality of life, improving speech and the ability to enjoy a healthy diet as well as your sense of confidence in your overall appearance. At Tahoe Dental Artistry in Truckee, CA, Dr. Don Reid offers patients a range of treatment options for replacing one or more lost teeth, including dentures. A nationally recognized dentist in both implant dentistry and the treatment of complex problems, Dr. Reid can help you to restore a beautiful smile that will also provide natural function.
Dentures and partial dentures have been used to replace the upper, lower or both arches of teeth for many years. Recent advances in techniques and materials now offer patients cosmetic dentures that are natural looking and comfortable.
Types of dentures:
- Full dentures: a full denture can be fixed or removable, replacing all of the upper or lower arch of teeth.
- Partial dentures: a partial denture replaces several lost teeth and can be fixed using dental implants for a lasting result. They are made to fill gaps in your smile.
- Implant secured dentures: cosmetic dentures can be permanently secured using strategically placed dental implants for the most natural looking and functioning result.
Dentures: What To Consider
Dr. Reid will perform a thorough evaluation of your oral health and discuss your personal concerns and goals during an initial consultation to determine if dentures are the best option for replacing your missing teeth. Whenever possible he will recommend using implant supported dentures, or “all-on-four”, because of the many benefits they offer when it comes to restoring a beautiful new smile. It is important to replace your missing teeth as soon as possible with whatever option you choose.
Benefits of Implant-Supported Dentures
Implant dentures have a 95% or better success rate and equally high level of patient satisfaction. While this procedure does require a greater initial investment compared to alternatives like removable dentures or bridges, implant dentures offer the best long term benefits.
- Supports bone retention for better overall dental health
- Restores normal chewing function and enables a varied, healthy diet
- Allows patient to speak and smile naturally and comfortably
- No daily maintenance- no glues, adhesives, soaks or rinses
- No worry of slippage or dentures falling out
Traditional removable dentures are more affordable and the process to get them can be completed in about three weeks. Dental implants are expensive and involve a significant investment. They require in-depth treatment planning, a surgery and months of healing time. The total time it takes to complete the entire denture implant process could take up to nine months versus having a new set of removable dentures in as little as three weeks. It is important to consider your quality of life with options. Even though implants cost a significant amount more, they are also the closest thing you can get to natural teeth.
Dentures, either removable or implant supported, are a multi step process from treatment planning to final placement. Dr. Reid will explain all aspects of the process as well as expected results for your consideration in choosing the right option.