Choosing the right option to replace missing teeth is important if you want to enjoy results that are comfortable, secure and support long term dental health. Dr. Donald Reid offers tooth replacement with dental bridges that are custom made to match your natural teeth and fit comfortably within your smile. A dental bridge can be a great alternative for those who have insufficient bone for a dental implant or need a more immediate solution for missing teeth.
What Is A Dental Bridge?
Designed for replacing one or more consecutive teeth, a dental bridge literally “bridges the gap” between two remaining teeth. There are two basic types of dental bridges:
- Removable: a removable dental bridge will attach to either two natural teeth or dental implants and can be removed for daily cleaning. This type of bridge is typically considered a short term fix and does not offer long term dental health benefits.
- Fixed: a fixed dental bridge is the recommended option for most patients. It is permanently attached using dental implants or natural teeth that are strengthened by a dental crown for a secure, lasting result.
DENTAL BRIDGE VS. IMPLANT: WHAT TO CONSIDER
During a consultation, Dr. Don Reid will discuss the most suitable replacement options for you, but there are several important factors taken into consideration as part of your treatment planning:
- Health and bone structure: Only patients in good health, with good bone structure will be candidates for dental implants. In some cases, bone grafting procedures can be complete if additional support is needed. If you are not a candidate for dental implants, a dental bridge may be the best solution.
- Cost: While the cost of a dental bridge may be more affordable in the short term than a dental implant, implants typically provide a better long term solution and are less likely to need repair or replacement in the future./li>
- Stable restoration: Dental implants are the closest thing to a natural tooth. The dental implant is anchored to the bone, allowing the patient to eat whatever they want, brush and floss normally, and have unaffected speech. While the dental bridge itself is extremely durable, the concern is for the health of neighboring teeth. If one of the anchor teeth fails or needs dental work, it compromises the entire dental bridge.
- Procedure and recovery: Dental implant surgery is a relatively comfortable and quick procedure. There will be a 3-6 month recovery period before the final restoration is completed in order to allow for sufficient healing and integration of the post.
SCHEDULE A CONSULTATION
Replacing lost and missing teeth is important for both dental health and overall physical well being. To learn more about how a dental bridge could be the solution to your dental problems, schedule a consultation with Dr. Reid in Truckee, CA. Call our office at (530) 206-0392 or use our online request form and we will contact you shortly. We look forward to helping you restore a beautiful, healthy smile.