At the core of any great dental practice, keeping your patients well informed on proper oral hygiene techniques, providing comprehensive, patient-focused dental care, and offering complete diagnosis and solutions are some of the key ways to help patients achieve a healthier smile. Truckee dentist Dr. Donald Reid is committed to providing advanced dental care to patients in need. Dr. Reid stays up to date on the latest advancements and technology in dentistry to ensure he is providing patients with the appropriate treatments. Our Truckee, CA dental office believes that continuous education is essential for both dentist and patient. Patient education is one of the best tools a patient can have in regards to maintaining proper oral health.
Practicing an excellent oral hygiene routine is an excellent way to minimize your chance of developing advanced dental issues. Sometimes plaque can form on the teeth and cause tooth decay or gum disease if it is not properly removed. In dentistry, prevention is key. Dr. Reid suggests that taking preventive measures to avoid plaque is the best way to prevent the development of complex dental issues.
5 Ways to Prevent Plaque
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day. Brushing and flossing help get rid of bacteria and debris that have accumulated in your mouth throughout the day. Find the right brush for your smile. Brushing can range from soft, medium, and hard depending on the needs of your teeth. Some patients may even prefer an electronic toothbrush. Cleaning your teeth properly can help avoid the development of plaque.
- Don’t forget to floss! Flossing removes debris and food particles between the teeth that can often be forgotten. When debris isn’t properly removed, it can lead to the development of plaque. Patients can use dental picks, water flossers, or pre-threaded flossers to clean between their teeth. Find the right product that will work for your smile.
- Incorporate mouthwash into your oral hygiene routine. Mouthwash can help get rid of debris that may be hiding out in your mouth. Find an ADA approved antibacterial mouthwash to add to your routine. If you aren’t sure which mouthwash is best for your needs, feel free to discuss your options with Dr. Reid.
- Avoid consuming sugary foods and drinks. Bacteria feed on sugar. If that sugar isn’t properly removed from the teeth, it can lead to tooth decay. Make sure you drink water and clean your teeth properly after consuming sugary drinks and food.
- Visit our Truckee dental office at least twice a year for a routine dental visit. Dr. Reid suggests that patients visit his office twice a year for him to thoroughly examine the mouth, teeth, gums, and jawbone structure to check for any signs of dysfunction. You will also receive a professional dental cleaning. Our in-office dental cleanings use advanced tools which can reach spots that normal brushing and flossing can not reach.
Schedule a Visit
If you haven’t scheduled a preventive care exam, visits our Truckee dental office. Dr. Reid can provide a comprehensive dental exam and provide the dental treatment you need. Patients can schedule an appointment online.